Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I think I Am

Looks like Pekoe will not have any milk for this litter so they'll stay with Aunt Katy.  The three don't seem to mind and will likely grow up thinking that they were Berger Picards!!  

Look for the white tail between Katy's front legs as Babette burrows for breakfast.

Monday, February 4, 2013

Happy Hour at the Milk Bar

It's always Happy Hour at Katy's Milk Bar.   Pierre,  Jean Paul and Babette belly up to the bar with their French cousins.

Hanging In There

The latest word from Blue Pearl is that Pekoe will be spending another night there.  She did get a blood transfusion this afternoon and apparently has perked up a great deal.  They've been able to stabilize her hematocrit and blood gluose levels and as long as her stats are good, I'll be able to get her back mid day tomorrow.  Unfortunately, she's not brought in any milk, so the French triplets - Jean Paul, Pierre and Babette will be staying a the House of Picard for at least 3 weeks.  It will be fun to watch them grow up side by side with their hairier "siblings."

Not How We'd Planned

**I posted this yesterday but it seems to have disappeared?**

Sadly, yesterday we eneded up at Blue Pearl Emergency clinic yesterday for an emergency C section and spay.  We ended up with four survivors - two boys and two girls.  Pekoe had to stay overnight to get some of her vitals stablized.  And so we came to rely on the kindness of friends.  Fortunately, my friend Dee's Berger Picard bitch Katy had a liiter a week ago and was very accepting of my three wee ones.  She took them in like they were her own.

Despite the best efforts of Katy and myself, we lost the littlest girl early this AM.  My heart is breaking.... The other three are thriving.   We've decided to give them French names for now..., so we have Pierre, Jean Paul and Babette.  God speed Madeline...we barely knew you and you're gone too soon .

The news from Blue Pearl is that Pekoe's levels are stabilized and so after one more round of tests at 11, they'll decide if she needs a blood transfusion and if she can come home. 

Sunday, February 3, 2013

In The Wee Hours

Waiting in the wee hours of the morning.   Thought we were getting puppies tonight, but alas she had us fooled.  Maybe in the morning?

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Ready Set Go!

Getting ready for the "big event."  The whelping box is ready to go!

Friday, February 1, 2013

T Minus 2 and Counting



Blog updates will start so bookmark this site.   Dr. Brimacomb’s office called today to check up on Pekoe and reminded me to count from the day of OVULATION, not insemination so Pekoe’s due date is actually MONDAY, not Wednesday as projected.  She’s been digging a den out under the kennel shed, but I hate to tell her…. She is NOT having her pups out there!  LOL.

Whelping box/Puppy room will be set up tomorrow so we’re ready for anything.  Pekoe will have a bath tomorrow and then I'll post a photo of her with her big puppy belly! Lying on the couch with her tonight, I could feel the puppies kicking and moving around.  

I wasn't sure about whether I'd take her for an x-ray to try to get a head count but since it's Friday night and she's due Monday, I'm not sure there's time or reason to do so.   Stay tuned......